Peer leaders and orientation assistants help new students navigate the process of registering for classes and adjusting to college life.
Students may be selected as a peer leader, orientation assistant, or both. Peer leaders will have several commitments through the summer, while orientation assistants only have responsibilities the week before classes start. Students who are out of state, have intensive summer internships or have difficulty obtaining transportation may find it beneficial to only apply for an orientation assistant position.
International Students are also needed to fill in the International Orientation Assistant Position. As an international student your role would be to specifically assist incoming first year international students. Current international students may speak with Jill Bender at [email protected] to find out more about this specific role.
Peer leader and orientation assistant positions are open to all Penn State Beaver students. Questions and or concerns may be addressed to Student Engagement Coordinator Romina Holder at [email protected].
Current peer leaders and orientation assistants who are looking to take on more responsibilities may contact Romina Holder to find out about additional leadership positions that may be available.
Applications for 2020-2021 are closed. Students will be notified via PSU email when the hiring process for 2021-2022 begins.
- Help organize and run New Student Orientation during summer dates.
- Serve as a resource for new students for all of academic year.
- Connect new students to campus resources and build community.
- Promote social and academic success among new students.
- Collaborate with fellow peer leaders on a variety of initiatives to engage new students.
- Attend group meetings regularly throughout the year.
- Be a returning, full-time Penn State Beaver student enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours.
- Be available to take part in training and all New Student Orientation dates. (see schedule above.)
- Be available for and provide own transportation to New Student Orientation.
- Be in good academic and judicial standing with the University. (CGPA of 2.5+)
- Be available for 3-5 hours each week during the 2019-2020 academic year.
- Recommendation letter from a Penn State Beaver faculty or staff member required. When filling out the application, you will need to provide the name of the person writing your recommendation.
What’s in it for you?
- $9.50/hour up to 40 hours a week during New Student Orientation weeks
- Penn State gear
- Early move-in for resident students in August 2020.
- Letter of recommendation at end of academic year, if desired.
- Valuable experience to add to your resume.