Staff Diabetes Care Re-Certification Training
Unlicensed staff in Personal Care Homes and Assisted Living Residences who administer insulin injections are required to successfully complete a Department of Human Services (DHS) approved diabetes patient education program annually. In anticipation of a potential shortage of trained staff to provide this life sustaining medication for individuals who need insulin injections, Penn State Beaver is offering diabetes education re-certification live via Zoom.
Led by a Certified Diabetes Educator, this two-hour training will meet the DHS requirements for re-certification. This course will provide an overview of the care of people with diabetes (PWD), as required by 2800.190 (b). This course is also eligible for continuing education credits for Personal Care Home Administrators. In order to participate and earn re-certification, attendees must present a copy of their initial diabetes certification to the instructor.
This training will be delivered live virtually via Zoom.
Please check back for future dates.
Initial Diabetes Certification Training
Designed for entry-level, non-diabetes clinicians to certify them to work with diabetes patients. Led by a Certified Diabetic Educator, this course will provide an overview of the care of residents with diabetes as required by § 2800.190 (b). This course also satisfies annual training hours required for Personal Care Home Administrators.
Completers will demonstrate:
- Proper procedure for insulin administration
- Proper procedure for blood glucose monitoring
- Administration of medication, oral and injected
Completers will define:
- The relationship of sugar and insulin in the body
- The organ systems particularly at risk from diabetes
- The major factors in prevention of kidney, eye, cardiovascular and peripheral vascular disease
- Hyperglycemia and recognize systems
- The principles for good nutrition
- A certificate will be awarded upon satisfactory demonstration and completion of training objectives, competencies, and methods of this course.
- Participants earn .7 continuing education units
Instructional materials and supplies necessary to reach training objectives are provided. Instructors are Penn State approved, RN, CDE.
Classes forming for Fall 2020. Please check back for dates.