Do you have a family member or loved one dealing with substance use disorder and want to help others?
The Certified Family Recovery Specialist (CFRS) training is a peer-support program for adult family members or loved ones who have experienced their own recovery after being impacted by a loved one’s substance use disorder. It is designed to meet the current educational requirements for the CFRS credentials set forth by the Pennsylvania Certification Board (PCB).
Please note that Penn State Beaver is the education provider only and our training is one part of the larger process to become a successful CFRS. Participants must meet all of the other requirements before being certified.
For individuals to become a CFRS, they must meet the Pennsylvania Certification Board (PCB) requirements which include:
- High school diploma or GED
- Successful completion of the Certified Recovery Specialist/ Certified Family Recovery Specialist – 78 Hour Training Program
- History of lived experience of being directly impacted by family member or loved one’s substance use disorder
- 1000 word statement describing lived experience of being impacted by a family member or loved one’s substance use disorder and navigating of systems, accessing of resources, and what family recovery means personally
- 3 letters of reference/ character as described by the PCB
- Application to the Pennsylvania Certification Board and payment of fee
- Signing of an ethical code of conduct
Participants in the training must:
- Be comfortable with computers, computer application and other technology.
- Have the ability to complete online homework (12 hours).
- Have access to a laptop or desktop device. Mobile devices such as tablets and smartphones cannot be used.
These requirements are detailed in full on the Pennsylvania Certification Board’s website. Please visit the PCB site for more information on the requirements and expectations of these certifications prior to registering for any trainings.
- Dates: Saturdays, March 25 - May 27, 2023
- Time: 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Format: In-person at Penn State Beaver, 100 University Drive, Monaca, PA 15061
- Cost: $1,199 (does not include exam)
- Register: CRS Spring Training
The PA Certification Board requires candidates to complete the CRS application. The cost of the exam is $150 payable directly to the PCB with the application and required documents.
For more information, contact Jill Valentine via email at [email protected].
*A student may qualify for financial assistance if he or she is unemployed, underemployed or a dislocated worker. Please contact your local Pennsylvania CareerLink office to determine your eligibility.
Many U.S. states and territories require professional licensure/certification to be employed. If you plan to pursue employment in a licensed profession after completing this program, please visit the Professional Licensure/Certification Disclosures by State interactive map.
Cancellations and refunds
Payment is due upon registration. Students may request a registration cancellation through the start date of the course. A $25 cancellation fee will apply. No refunds will be given for withdrawal requests after the course start date. The University reserves the right to cancel course selections, if the course is cancelled the student will be issued a full refund.