In case of fire or explosion, activate the building alarm, leave the building, and call 911 to report the fire to the Beaver County Emergency Services Center. They will notify University Police when they dispatch the fire department.
In case of a minor fire that appears to be controllable, immediately call 911 and report the fire. Activate the fire alarm to evacuate the building. If possible, try to extinguish the fire with a fire extinguisher. If you can't extinguish the fire, leave the building!
Don't panic, but remember the following:
- Know the location of fire extinguishers, fire exits, and alarm pull boxes in your area. Every campus building is equipped with fire extinguishers in the hallways, lobbies, selected classrooms, and in the mechanical rooms.
- Do not use elevators in the event of a fire or a smoky condition. Do not use elevators for fire evacuation.
- When using a fire extinguisher, you must aim the extinguishing agent at the base of the flame.
- If you're disabled or become trapped in a building, call 911, report your location in the building, and place an article of clothing outside the window as a rescue marker.
- If you're in an area filling with smoke, stay near the floor where air is less toxic. If possible, block the bottom of the door with clothing or bedding.
- At regular intervals, shout as loudly as possible to alert rescue crews to your location.