Welcome to Penn State Beaver! Throughout the next few months, you will receive various correspondence from our staff preparing you for a smooth transition to Penn State University. Make sure you read all email messages and respond as necessary.
Here are some steps to help you prepare for your arrival at Penn State Beaver.
Step 1: Get your visa
To obtain your visa, complete all pre-arrival processes, including providing your financial guarantee, requesting an I-20, paying the SEVIS fee, and applying for your student visa.
We know one of the more challenging steps is obtaining your visa and other documentation. Do not worry. We have our own Pre-Arrival team that will be able to answer any of your questions or concerns regarding your documentation. Please e-mail our team at [email protected] or Telephone: +1-814-865-6348 Option 1.
Step 2: Make housing arrangements
If you want to live in our on-campus residence hall during the academic year, you must request a housing contract as soon as possible. A limited number of housing contracts are available. On-campus move-in day for international students is Tuesday, August 18, 2020.
The Housing and Food Service (HFS) Contract is a legally binding document, obligating the student to on-campus living once it is accepted. A student agrees to these Terms, Conditions, and Regulations (TCRs), as well as the HFS Contract legal terms/signing statements, when accepting the HFS Contract.
Step 3: Make travel plans
After you have obtained your documentation, you will want to book your airline ticket to arrive at Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT) no later than Sunday, August 16, 2020. The sooner you book your airfare, the less expensive it will be. Pittsburgh International Airport is about 17 miles (27 kilometers) from Penn State Beaver.
Once you arrive at Pittsburgh International Airport:
- You will have complimentary hotel accommodations awaiting you at the Hyatt Regency, which is attached to the airport.
- You will be able to relax and prepare for your Regional International Student Orientation program at the Hyatt Regency, where you will get to meet the staff members who will prepare you for your transition from your home country to Penn State Beaver and the United States.
- You will also get to meet other international students who are making the same transition as you.
Step 4: Fulfill health care requirements
The following requirements are mandatory:
- Print out the Immunization Verification Form and take it to your health care provider for completion before you arrive to the United States.
- Upload your completed Immunization Verification Form at myUHS and complete the steps listed on the Immunizations Overview page.
- Purchase the mandatory Penn State health insurance plan from First Student. Learn more about International Health Insurance requirements.
- Translate your medical records, immunization records, and prescription information into English and bring them with you.
Step 5: Attend orientation
All first-year international students attending Penn State Beaver must arrive at Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT) no later than Sunday, August 16, 2020, and attend mandatory Regional International Student Orientation on Monday, August 17, 2020. You will receive detailed information on this program via email once you pay your acceptance fee. (Please note, these dates may differ from those of your friends or classmates that are attending another Penn State campus.)
Once you attend Regional International Orientation, we will provide transportation to Penn State Beaver and complete Document Check-in. We will also provide assistance with moving in to your living arrangements, banking, shopping, class registration, and other needs.
If you are traveling with any family members or friends, you must notify us in advance so appropriate arrangements can be made.
Step 6: Begin online document check-in
Start the document check-in process before we get here. We will verify and complete this process on campus.
- Log into iStart to view the Pre-Arrival Checklist and select "Mandatory Document Check-In."
- Complete the questions and upload scanned copies or clear photographs of the requested documents.
- Make sure to sign your I-20 or DS-2019 before scanning it.
Step 7: Prepare for life at your new home
Find out more about the area:
Check your email regularly for information from Penn State Beaver.
Step 8: Other helpful advice
- Keep your passport, I-20 or DS-2019, money and other valuables with you at all times.
- Familiarize yourself with the United States arrival process.
- If your airline loses your luggage, complete a lost luggage report at the airport of your final airport destination with the local address where it should be delivered.
If you have any questions or concerns after you have obtained your documentation, be sure to contact Johnny Marcolini, International Student Adviser/Global Education Coordinator, at [email protected] or +1-724-773-3963.
See you soon!