International Student FAQ

International Student FAQ

Can I participate in sports on campus?

Yes! You are welcome to be a part of campus athletics. Penn State Beaver has varsity (intercollegiate) teams and intramural sports. To learn more, please visit our Athletic Department website.

What kind of housing is available?

Harmony Hall, a traditional-style residence hall, is located on campus and can house 210 students. For more information, check our Residence Life pages.

What is there to do on campus?

Throughout the year, the Office of Student Activities hosts a wide range of events on campus, and you can become involved in plenty of clubs, organizations, and varsity and intramural sports teams. The campus is near Pittsburgh, which offers numerous entertainment, athletic, and cultural opportunities.

Do I need health insurance?

Yes. Health insurance is mandatory for Penn State international students. For more information about how to obtain health insurance and to learn what is expected of you, see University Health Services.

What immunizations do I need to receive?

All students are required to have certain immunizations prior to attending Penn State. For information about immunization requirements, see University Health Services.

What is the weather like?

Penn State Beaver is located in southwestern Pennsylvania, which has four distinct seasons of winter, spring, summer, and fall. These seasons can include snow, rain, low or freezing temperatures, high temperatures, mild temperatures, humidity, dry air, cool air, and sunshine. You will need clothing to accommodate the changing seasons. You will also need professional clothing for interviews and special occasions on or off campus. Rain protection, such as an umbrella and a waterproof coat, and cold weather protection, such as a heavy coat, hats, gloves, and scarves, are necessities.

Can I buy what I need near campus?

Students have access to multiple shopping facilities near campus. If you do not have what you need when you arrive, we will be happy to help you determine what purchases need to be made.

How do I open a bank account?

With an ATM (Automated Teller Machine) located right on campus, PNC Bank makes banking easy for Penn State Beaver students. Find out about PNC accounts for international students.

How do I get a driver's license?

If you wish to drive in the United States, you will need a Pennsylvania driver's license. Directions for obtaining a license may be found here.

Do I need a Social Security number?

Students who are hired to work on campus must first obtain a Social Security Card. Information on how to do that is available on Global Penn State. Please visit the Student Development Center, Student Union Building 101, for assistance.