Dual Enrollment FAQ

Dual Enrollment FAQ

What is the Dual Enrollment College-in-High School program?

Dual Enrollment enables qualified high school students to take college courses at a reduced rate of tuition and earn college credits while still in high school.

How does a high school student enroll in Penn State Beaver's Dual Enrollment program?

The first step that an interested student should take is to contact his/her high school guidance counselor to discuss Dual Enrollment at Penn State Beaver. Students can also contact the Penn State Beaver Admissions Office at 724-773-3800 or toll-free at 1-877-JOIN-PSU. Students must complete a Dual Enrollment Registration Form (pdf). This form includes consent signatures from the student, parent, and a school counselor or principal. Ideally, the student and parent(s) would complete the form together and submit it to the high school Guidance Office. The Guidance Office typically faxes the form, along with a copy of the student's high school transcript, to the Penn State Beaver Admissions Office at 724-773-3658.

What are the benefits of enrolling in Dual Enrollment?

The primary benefit of Dual Enrollment is the ability for students to earn college credits prior to graduating from high school. Beginning college with existing college credits may allow a student to graduate sooner, save money, and/or avoid taking summer classes. Because Penn State credits are highly valued by other institutions, they also can be easily transferred to other colleges and universities.

What is the reduced tuition rate for Dual Enrollment?

Participants in the Dual Enrollment program will receive a grant-in-aid equal to a minimum of 50 percent of the current cost of tuition. Students are responsible for paying related fees, which typically average about $150 per course. In addition, students are responsible for the cost of any books, which varies according to the class in which the student is enrolled. Dual Enrollment students do not receive financial aid and are not eligible for loans.

How soon may I register for a class before the semester begins?

If there's room in the class, students may enroll in a course any time before a semester begins. Penn State recommends that students interested in a fall semester course should enroll by May 31, a spring semester course by November 30, and a summer semester course by April 30.

When can a high school student begin taking classes at Penn State?

According to the Penn State University Faculty Senate policy, a high school senior may enroll in up to 8 credits per semester, beginning in the summer semester prior to the senior year, for a maximum of 24 credits. High school juniors may enroll in one 3- or 4-credit course in the fall and spring semesters of the junior year. Once a student graduates from high school, he or she is not eligible to participate in the program.

How does a high school student qualify for the Dual Enrollment program?

To enroll in the program, a student must be a high school junior or senior with a cumulative high school grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or have earned a combined SAT1 critical reading and math score of 1000. Exceptions can be made for promising students who do not meet the criteria. To remain in the program, a student must earn a "C" or better in every course.